Thursday, June 27, 2013

Blog 6 Thursday June 27

 Mambo! Today was a fairly average day on the work site at Orkeeswa. I’m happy to report that the cornrows looked much better after settling for the night. The morning began a little late as Holly, Olivia, and Anna R. forgot to set an alarm (again), but we arrived at the school in time to get an hour or two of work done before teatime. The work today involved measuring and leveling off the steps we have carved into the hillside, and some more bucket carrying of course. Most of the Groton girls have learned to carry the large buckets on top of our heads and a few of us, channeling our inner Maasai women, have even started to practice balancing them with no hands. The Orkeeswa girls are delighted to help us, offering their shawls as cushions to put under the buckets and politely trying to contain their giggles as we struggled.
We split into groups at teatime for our daily language exchange, but mine turned into more of a reunion than a Swahili lesson. While I was introducing myself to the group of Form 4 boys I was sitting with, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a vaguely familiar face but before I could sort out his name, the boy embraced me and shouted, “Lucy! Lucy!” Although his face fell noticeably when I explained that I was Lucy’s younger sister and not the goddess herself, Lais seemed content that we are at least related. We worked hard for another two hours until lunch, and were then rewarded not only with a change from the usual rice and beans but also with our groups for the homestays tomorrow. At the end of the day tomorrow, each group of two or three Groton students will journey to a different Orkeeswa student’s boma (neighborhood), and live with them and their family until Sunday afternoon. The next blog on Sunday will surely be filled with more details and stories about these homestays. Our last activity at Orkeeswa today was a small group, story-telling session with the Form 4 students where I was again paired up with friends of last year’s crew, Lota and Lais. Laurie instructed us to talk about the person we love most, and Lota charmed me with his poetry. We ended the day with a professional Swahili lesson from Osotto, a young man studying to become a history and Swahili teacher at university.
          Hope everyone is keepin it real back in the homeland.
--Georgia

P.S. Many inquiries about the identity of Sir Hungry Hungry Hippo. Give us a hint: what country are you currently in?




4 comments:

  1. Geo, nice blog entry. Can't wait to see the cornrows. Have a great boma stay and please wish your hosts "Mambo" from me. BTW, we are keeping it extremely real back here in the homeland, not to worry. -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellllooooo again!

    Tonight I'll keep it short so as not to bore you and so you get to playing card games (if you haven't been playing cards then you definitely should start).

    Per Georgia's request for a hint to my identity, I will say that I currently reside in the United States of fine America. Keep the questions coming! I will not respond to all of them though...

    Now, just to give Fred (or whoever is reading the comments at check-in) a hard time with pronunciation, does anyone know what hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia means?? No, it doesn't mean that hippos are awesome, it is actually the fear of long words!

    I hope you all had lots of fun on your Home Stays; while those walks to the bomas can be quite long, the immersive experience of living in a Maasai home is really incredible.

    I must ask you: were there any sudden sightings of hippos on safari? I've heard the ones that live in the Tarangire can be pretty wild. Please don't judge me on their behavior!

    Anyway, sorry for the steep decline in quality of writing, I'm afraid I've gotten kind of lazy in this blistering heat. I'm on my way to the beach where I'll be thinking of you all in good old Tanzania.

    Peace, love,
    Sir Triple H

    P.S. Thanks for adding the Sir bit, Georgia. I think I'll keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm going to try to leave a comment ONE more time! Loved this entry, Georgia, and loved the cornrows. Lucy was thrilled to hear about her old friends and how she was remembered as a goddess. We had our first run at the Farmers Market in Lyme this morning with the Orkeeswa Angels -- very successful! Bring back lots of jewelry and fabric too if you can. Everyone wants some!! Keep up the great work. Miss you and love you. xoMom

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to hear that , i hope you all enjoyed swahili lesson i wish you all safe journey to your home country welcome back again to Tanzania

    ReplyDelete